Mechanism of reservation from mobilization in the field of IT in Ukraine: causes of delay and its appearance
"eBooking" has not yet been launched - the reasons and appearance of the mechanism
In 2023, the IT sector has become a key exporter of services, but the launch of the employee reservation mechanism is still being discussed, especially for critical projects of IT companies that depend on client orders and mobilization.
The Ministry of Economy, together with the Ministry of Digital Transformation, is developing the "eBooking" mechanism, which was supposed to be launched at the end of 2023, but until now it still does not exist.
How companies reserve IT specialists
From the beginning of 2023, the Cabinet of Ministers introduced reservation rules for critical enterprises, but this process takes some time and requires the coordination of the list of employees with various institutions and authorities. Critical enterprises are determined according to certain criteria, such as the amount of taxes paid, strategic importance for the economy and security of the state, the size of the average salary of employees, etc.
Currently, Ukrainian IT companies have booked about 3,500 specialists out of the total number of 362,000 IT specialists. However, this number is less than 1% of the total number of employees in the industry.
Disadvantages of the reservation mechanism
Representatives of the IT industry indicate that the reservation mechanism does not correspond to the peculiarities of the IT sphere. In particular, its architecture is based on the Soviet model of the economy, not taking into account such factors as foreign companies, the service sector and creative and technological industries.
The Lviv IT-Cluster notes that the replacement of key employees can lead to the loss of customers and negatively affect small and medium-sized companies. They also point to the need for a balanced and efficient reservation mechanism that takes into account the needs of the modern economy.
The future of "eBooking" and proposals of the IT community
The Ministry of Economy, together with the Ministry of Digital Transformation, is developing the "eBooking" mechanism, which was supposed to be launched in 2023, but its launch was postponed until the adoption of changes to the legislation on mobilization. The new mechanism should digitize the booking process, speed it up and make it business-friendly.
All IT communities contribute their suggestions and expertise to the implementation of the "eBooking" mechanism. They emphasize the transparency and efficiency of the reservation process, as well as its adaptation to the needs of the modern economy. However, the exact launch date of the new mechanism is not yet known.
The situation in the Ukrainian IT sector
The Ukrainian IT sector is a key exporter of services and plays an important role in the country's economy. In 2023, IT services exports will reach $6.7 billion, and the total number of jobs in the industry will be about 615,000.
However, the current reservation mechanism does not take into account the specifics of the IT industry, which may adversely affect the development of the industry and business stability. Therefore, the implementation of the "eBooking" mechanism is an important step for the further development of the IT sector of Ukraine.
Answers to questions
"eBooking" is a mechanism for electronic booking of employees, which was planned to be launched by the Ukrainian government by the end of 2023. However, this mechanism has not yet been launched. The results of the study show that the process is not efficient enough for the IT field and does not take into account the specifics of this field. The delay in the launch of "eBooking" is associated with changes in the legislation on mobilization, as well as with a lack of resources and tools for prompt consideration and processing of requests.
Companies can now defer booking up to 50% of their staff for 6 months if they meet mission critical criteria. However, the booking procedure takes time and involves coordinating the list of employees with numerous authorities. The total duration of the booking procedure is no more than 28 days.
The reservation mechanism, which was launched in 2022, is designed for classical sectors of the economy and does not take into account the peculiarities of the IT sphere. This process can lead to the loss of key employees and negatively affect the business of companies. Critically important enterprises of the IT industry make up only 1% of the total number of booked employees.
- The Ministry of Economy - this institution, together with the Ministry of Digital Transformation, is developing a mechanism for electronic booking, known as "eBooking".
- AIN.UA is a publication that communicated with key players of the IT market regarding the issue of employee reservations.
- Kharkiv IT Cluster - a community that provided its suggestions regarding the reservation mechanism.
- The Ministry of Digital Affairs is a ministry that emphasized the importance of residency in "Diya City" for IT companies.
- ELBUZ is a source of the latest up-to-date data on the number of booked specialists.
- IT Ukraine is an association that actively joined the process of implementing the "eBooking" procedure.
- Information on the dynamics of the IT industry in Ukraine for 2023 (https://itcluster.lviv.ua/dynamika-it-industriyi-pid-chas-vijny-rezultaty-it-research -ukraine-2023/)
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers with reservation rules (https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/76-2023-%D0%BF#Text)
- Link to the list of strategic enterprises (https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/83-2015-%D0%BF#n10)
- The procedure for booking employees for IT companies on the Diya Business website (https://business.diia.gov.ua/cases/novini/poradok-bronuvanna-spivrobitnikiv-dla-it-kompanij)
- Export statistics of the IT industry of Ukraine (https://bank.gov.ua/files/ES/Trade_y.pdf)