The game Elden Ring gets a mobile version: a new wave of action on mobile devices
Mobile version of Elden Ring may appear thanks to Tencent
Tencent is working on adapting the console game Elden Ring for mobile devices, according to information Reuters.
The launch of the mobile version of Elden Ring
In 2022, Tencent, which is the largest company in the gaming industry by revenue, acquired the rights to the game Elden Ring from a Japanese studio FromSoftware. The company created a team of several dozen people to develop a prototype of the mobile version. However, work is progressing at a slow pace, say insiders.
Elden Ring Game Expansion
Elden Ring has no in-app purchases, but Tencent plans to make the game free and add this option.
About Elden Ring
Elden Ring, which was released in 2022, sold about 20 million copies in its first year and became the second best-selling game in the world after Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. This is an open-world action role-playing game created in collaboration with Game of Thrones author George Martin. Game development is led by veteran game designer Hidetaka Miyazaki (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne).
Tencent's problems in the game industry
Previously, the head of Tencent said that the company's game business is under threat, so the search for a new hit is underway. While Tencent's past games, particularly PUBG Mobile, continue to generate revenue, the latest products have fallen short of expectations.
Tencent has previously faced problems adapting major console games for smartphones. In December, the project based on the popular Nier franchise had monetization problems and was shut down.
- FromSoftware is a Japanese game studio that developed the game Elden Ring.
- Tencent is the largest gaming company by revenue.
- Elden Ring is an open-world console game that has sold approximately 20 million copies.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is the best-selling game in the world after Elden Ring.
- George Martin is the author of "Game of Thrones" and a consultant for creating the plot of the game Elden Ring.
- Hidetaka Miyazaki is a game designer and developer of Elden Ring.
- PUBG Mobile is a game that has brought considerable profit to Tencent.
- Nier is a popular game franchise.