Google Assistant powered by Gemini: new capabilities for mobile devices
Google introduced its latest big language model last year in the form of chatbot Bard, and now it's integrating Gemini into its virtual assistant.
Google Assistant update
New Google Assistant features
The updated Google Assistant now allows you to recognize text, images and sound. If you upload a photo of a plant, the assistant will provide recommendations for its care and other similar information.
Ways to call Google Assistant
You can still call Google Assistant by pressing the Power key or by saying "Hey Google", depending on your device.
Text and image generation
Google Assistant, like Bard, can now generate text or image upon request. However, these generative features can be easily disabled in the settings and reverted to the previous version of the assistant.
Google Assistant powered by Gemini
Free assistant powered by Gemini
Google has introduced a free version of the assistant, based on the Gemini model, which uses the less powerful Gemini Pro variant. For more advanced features, a paid Google One AI Premium subscription is available for $20 per month, which includes the Gemini Ultra model and provides 2TB of storage. Gemini features will soon also be available in Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, and more.
New languages and expansion to other countries
Google Assistant, based on the Gemini model, is already available in English in the US and will expand its support to several other countries next week.
- Gemini - language processing model developed by Google
- Google Assistant - virtual assistant, provided by Google
- Bard - a chatbot developed by Google
- Gemini Pro - an improved version of the Gemini model
- Gemini Ultra - an enhanced version of the Gemini model, available in the Google One AI Premium paid subscription
- Google One AI Premium - a paid subscription that provides additional features and 2 TB of storage
- Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets - Google services for working with email, documents, presentations and spreadsheets