Global tablet shipments fell to historic lows in 2011: causes and consequences
Global tablet shipments fell 17.4% to 36.8 million units in the fourth quarter of 2023, accounting for 20.5% of total tablets sold for the year, according to a report from research firm IDC.
Tablet shipment statistics
Annual tablet sales figures show a decline of 20.5% to 128, 5 million units.
Reasons for the decline
Given the high inflation rate and the deteriorating economic situation, the decline in tablet shipments is not surprising. Project delays and cost cuts also led to weaker demand for tablets, especially in the fourth quarter.
Anuropa Nataraj, senior research analyst for mobility and consumer devices tracking at IDC, notes that the tablet market is expected to recover in 2024, subject to more economically feasible sales. However, challenges continue to remain and the focus of technological advancements related to artificial intelligence is likely to be on PCs and smartphones in the next 2 years.
Declining Apple market share
In addition to the overall decline in the tablet market, Apple also lost market share, falling 7% after cutting shipments in the fourth quarter from 21. 1 million to 14.9 million. At the same time, Apple's main competitors such as Samsung, Huawei, Lenovo and Xiaomi increased their market share, while the Other segment showed a slight decline, but less than 2% overall.
Top 5 Tablet Companies
In the fourth quarter of 2023, the biggest winner was Xiaomi, which showed 35% growth compared to the same period last year. Apple showed the largest decline of 29.3%.
- IDC - an analytical company that carries out monitoring and research hardware and software market.
- Apple is an American company, electronics manufacturer and software developer.
- Samsung is a South Korean company, the largest electronics manufacturer.
- Huawei is a Chinese company engaged in the production of equipment and services in the field of telecommunications.
- Lenovo is a Chinese company, a manufacturer of computers and electronics.
- Xiaomi is a Chinese company that develops smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.
Answers to questions
What were the annual tablet sales results?
What reasons led to the decline in tablet supplies?
When is the tablet market expected to recover?
Save a link to this article
Discussion of the topic – Global tablet shipments fell to historic lows in 2011: causes and consequences
There are no reviews for this product.