Midjourney: The ability to create fake political images ahead of US elections may be banned
The image generation service has already been used to create fake arrest photos of Donald Trump.
Fake photos and bans
Midjourney is considering banning photos of Trump and Biden
Midjourney appears to allow the creation of images of any content, including fake photos of Biden firing a machine gun with a smile, or Trump meeting with Pope Francis in the Oval Office. However, this opportunity may be limited during the US elections, reports Bloomberg.
Image Generator Midjourney plans to ban photos of Biden and Trump in the next 12 months , says Chief Executive Officer David Holtz.
“I understand that creating images of Trump can be fun - I create such images myself. It's really visually interesting. However, during elections it is better to hold back a little. Let's see what will happen next".
Access restrictions and use of Midjourney
Recently, Midjourney has introduced restrictions on the creation of “deceptive images of public figures” and “images of events that may mislead misleading." However, Bloomberg was still able to generate morphed images of Trump covered in spaghetti using the old version of the Midjourney generator, but the new version does not generate such content.
Other tech companies are also taking steps to prevent political disinformation or make it easier to identify. ChatGPT will soon add watermarks to images created with DALL-E 3, and Meta is developing technology that can recognize and indicate whether an image, video or audio was created using artificial intelligence.
- Midjourney - image generation service
- Trump - Donald Trump, former President of the United States
- Biden - Joe Biden, President of the United States
- Bloomberg - American international news organization
- David Holtz - Chief Executive Officer of Midjourney
- Deepfakes are fake videos created using artificial intelligence, in this case of Trump's arrest
- Pope - nickname of Pope Francis, head of the Catholic Church
- Balenciaga - famous clothing brand
- ChatGPT - artificial intelligence model for text generation
- DALL-E 3 - artificial intelligence model for image generation
- Meta - a company providing various technological solutions
- AI - artificial intelligence
- Trump arrest deepfakes - article in The Washington Post